Random Amblings

This is akin to a personal Christmas Tree to be decorated with things that please and interest me. Some will be beautiful, others may take a more serious note. A sprinkling of humor is almost certain. Read along... I'd love to have you for company!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Grammy and her Little Lamb

Today is a beautiful day, warm for September. Drew and I decided a walk uptown was in order. It's only 4 blocks away, and I assumed it would give him fresh air, sunshine and enough exercise to wear him out. The walk up took about 10 minutes, and was amiable, albeit not fast enough to qualify on the cardiac scale even as a “mosey”. Drew's little legs are pretty short. We picked a red leaf, and then a summer flower, and rested on a bench, and walked along the top of a wall. We made note of the yellow hydrant and the red berries, with the long-ago teacher in me shouting out the colors like someone from a special needs bus. He also inexplicably listened to the side of a tree, and did his Radar O'Reilly imitation in the middle of an intersection.
We crossed the street looking BOTH ways each time, and by the time we got to CVS, I was a) carrying him and
b) had moved up to " DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!!" on the cardiac scale. Picked up my prescriptions and some M&Ms for bribing, and we moved toward our return home. Well, at least I did.

At 10:51 a.m., Drew was struck with the realization that he is a separate human being who is not at all smart enough to be afraid of being left behind. In fact, I think he rather relished the idea. He would stop, turn his back on me, and refuse to budge. He had to stop the first time to finish his lollipop from the bank lady, because apparently simultaneous walking and chewing on it was too challenging. Then he just did it because he COULD. Hands on hips, I swear he was giving me the bird behind his back. Even when I stepped out of sight, he was unfazed. Or I should say, unmoved. We repeated this excruciating game of “freezetag, Drew-style” half a dozen times on the way home. By the time we reached our block, I was pleading.... begging him to PLEASE, PLEASE follow me home. Undeterred, he stopped to listen to another tree. For a full three minutes. He could probably hear it growing. We were there long enough. People drove by and smiled indulgently. When we were still there when they were returning home, they were outright laughing and pointing. Look at the lady with the statue!!!

Mary had an easier time with her Little Lamb than I did with mine.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

What a doof that kid can be. Great writing too....and all the little welts are healing up nicely on the "statue". Hardly show at all.

Poor grammy...."I think we'll go for a walk today".

WEASEL.

~L

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home